Oftentimes on Memorial Day, there is not a lot of time for families to take a long vacation. Kids are still in school and it is only a long weekend for them. Parents may not have the time to take or the money to spend to go on a bigger trip with the summer coming fast up and the money that is spent entertaining and taking care of kids all summer. There is still the need to keep your kids entertained over the weekend, however, and since this is usually when the nice weather is really starting to be consistent, kids are getting antsy, and all parents want is to help them channel their energy into a productive way. Here are our top 5 ways to have a fun Memorial day without having to book a hotel, plan a trip or spend bucca bucks.
1. Family Picnic and Fun Day – Use the free days to finally take your kids to a local park, be it regional or a state park. Pack a picnic lunch and snacks for the day. Take some things to do once you get there as well – a ball, bat, and gloves; horseshoes; Frisbee; anything that can get you and your family up and be moving as you enjoy what your local nature hangouts can give you. Since it is the unofficial start of summer, be sure to stop by your favorite local ice-cream shop to kick off the season right.
2. Neighborhood Explorations – There is no better time then this long weekend to get out and explore what hidden treats exist in your neighborhood. Almost all neighborhoods have bits of history everywhere in them. Do some research or download some apps. Pack drinks and snacks, and take off on a hunt around your neighborhood to find some of these hidden treasures within your own hometown.
3. Cool off by getting wet – Most neighborhoods have a local pool or are close to a local lake, or state park with a beach. Use the opportunity to first clean out your summer things, taking out bathing suits, towels, beach toys and anything else you feel you may need for any planned summer excursions. Once cleaned out and up, and ready to go, use your newly cleaned and organized summer stuff to cool off by going swimming in one of the above locations. Maybe there is a waterpark located close by, or if you are not all about getting involved in crowds, fill up the supplies with water balloons, sprinklers, water guns and whatever else you can find and turn the backyard into a kids dream of water games.
4. Enjoy the sport of summer: Baseball – You can find a farm or local baseball team within driving distance anywhere across the country. Not only is it the unofficial sport of the summer, it is “America’s Pastime” after-all. Whether you are a huge fan of the local team or the sport in general, there is always something for every member of the family to do at these local ballparks. There are always events in between inning switches, often there is a bounce place somewhere on the grounds, affordable food, and usually some kind of promotion or giveaway on holiday weekends.
5. Partake in Memorial Day Festivities and Festivals – Memorial Day brings with it many festivities you can use to get your kids involved in the history of the day. Go to the many festivals that will spring up in small towns for the holiday – it is also the kick off of the festival season. There will be bounce houses, some will have rides, local bands will play, food vendors or food trucks, and many will conclude with fireworks for the celebration. There will be many parades to go to, ooh and aah at the floats, sing with the bands and wave to the other participants. At home, you can hang a flag, decorate, throw patriotic themed parties and teach your children the true meaning of the day by making care packages, writing notes or doing art to send to troops overseas, or to veterans associations across the nation.
No matter what way you choose to celebrate the holiday, do not feel that you have to try to fit a trip or vacation into your limited time. There is plenty to do right around your own home that will keep you and your children active and entertained. If done right, it should cost you little to nothing to stay busy the whole long weekend, while preparing for the upcoming summer season and having a blast.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.