One of the home improvement stores used to show a great commercial at the end of the summer that advertised back to school sales. Parents blissfully glide through the store pushing a shopping cart. Meanwhile, the kids scowl and drag their feet. The store’s loudspeaker merrily blares the holiday staple, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” I can’t help it, every time I think of it, I crack up! This pretty much sums up everybody’s feelings about back-to-school time.
End of summer is The Parent’s Holiday. Fine, it’s not an official holiday. But, if you’ve ever had kids, you’ll understand why I’m declaring that. When my kids were pre-school, I was exhausted but I enjoyed any time I could get with them. I couldn’t understand people who celebrated the Parent’s Holiday. Well, I learn pretty quickly and jumped right on board that train. Starting school was a whole different kind of crazy.
The pre-back to school time is as busy as the rest of the year but with angry kids and happy moms. Exactly how many notebooks and folders does a kid need? Do they actually need a compass anymore? And, why do they get computer equipment and supplies when you’re probably reading this on your phone because you never got around to buying a home computer for yourself or because you’re too busy to sit down and look at it if you had one!
So enjoy these 10 tips for Moms to celebrate back to school!
- First, be responsible. Don’t let them see you laugh hysterically until they’re out of sight.
- As soon as they leave for school, go directly to the spa. Don’t come back.
- Stock up on wine and chocolate. And, drink straight from the bottle
- Change your phone number so their teachers can’t find you.
- Stay home from work, watch trash TV, eat messy food, talk on the phone, do anything you want to do or do nothing. You’ll feel like you’ve stolen something.
- Inform your partner that you’re on strike until further notice.
- Get something waxed, painted, or highlighted. Or, all 3.
- Don’t change your pajamas for a week.
- Take a bubble bath to prevent repercussions from the pajama thing.
- Redecorate your house; maybe they won’t find you. 🙂
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.