I have a lot of hair. I like it long, styled, and dirty. Dirty in the sense, that I like an easy haircare routine and I try to avoid washing my hair as much as possible. In fact, for years I could never figure out how to maintain a look without getting up 30 minutes early to wash, blow, n style.
If you took one look at my hair you might think, oh she has it easy, but I don’t. In addition to the length, I have the lovely combo of bone straight and uber fine in the front, while the back and underneath parts are thick, coarse, dry, and kinky. Ya, that’s kinky, not curly, not wavy, but straight up zig zags back there. Not to mention that it takes an extra 20 minutes to make sure everything in the back is dry so it doesn’t get all wild.
So as you can imagine I am trying my hardest to avoid washing and styling. I try to wash my hair only one to two times per week. And while that may gross some of you (you can stop reading here!) It has been a total game changer. Most days I am able to let my hair down comb it out and hit the road, which is great when my kids are freaking the eff out and we have to go to school.
So how does one manage to wash their hair one time per week and maintain the style? With the right products and routine! That’s how.
I’m no stylist and far from an expert, but these products and tips have helped me to speed up my morning routine and make my hair healthier in the long run. I imagine this routine can apply to most hair types and if you find something isn’t working for you, then you can easily adjust so its a good fit for your hair.
Ok so here is my arsenal, I’ve been using these items consistently for about a year now and LOVE them. I am not a brand loyalist so the fact that I’ve been able to stick to these items for 12 months is a huge SHOCKER. Here’s what you’ll need to spread out your washes:
- Leave in Conditioner: I am OBSESSED with it’s a 10 products. and I especially love that they have a line with additional Keratin to keep that hair long and strong. After every wash, I use the It’s a 10 Miracle Leave in. Trust me this cuts through the tangles and makes your extra soft.
- Bonding Spray: In case that added keratin in the leave in isn’t enough I throw on the Brazilian Blow out Bonding Spray. This insanely effective products seals up the moisture in your hair and protects from damage that can occur during heat styling.
- Straightening Spray: TBH, I don’t use this every wash, because, after the first two, I can sometimes forget. But when I do remember it makes such a huge difference in that kinky mess, I mentioned previously. My go-to is John Freida 3-day Straight. I actually read about this in an interview with DVF years ago. I couldn’t find that article, but I’ve been using it ever since!
- Blow Dry Enhancer: Remember when I said it takes well over 20 minutes to blow dry my hair (30-40 in total). This nifty products actually helps speed up the dry time. COLOR WOW Speed Dry BlowDry Spray
- Dry Oil: We’ve mentioned VERB haircare on Les Littles before. IT’S LEGIT.My favorite product in the VERB line is theirGhost oil. It ads moisture to your dry ends without leaving them greasy or grimy.
- Keratin: Lots of love over here for the It’s a 10 line. Another solid mid wash moisturizer is the Miracle Leave in Potion.
- Dry Shampoo; Ok I am a dry-shampoo junkie. I have tried it all, from baby powder to aerosol and I can hands down say that the best and my all time favorite dry shamppo is the Bumble and Buble Pret a Powder. In either the powder which is great for travel. Or the Aerosol which I use at home.
- BONUS for Blondies: If you have blonde hair that quickly turns brassy or needs some extra brightening power in the summer. Mix in the IGK Mixed Feelings Blonde Drops with any product listed above to keeo your hair shiny and bright. But, be careful a little goes a long way and too many of these drops or too often can dry your hair out.
- Crease Free Alligator Hair Clips: I use these handy dandy clips when styling and putting my hair up in a bun to sleep (more on that later). You can get a bundle for less than $10 which is a huge win in my opinion as well! Alligator Clips
- Curling Iron: So I feel like a good curling iron is like top priority for me when it comes to making my hair stay. I prefer to use quality hair tools over something that is likely to break sooner than later. That said, I cannot say enough good things about my conair. I have tried the Bio Ionic Long Barrel which my hair stylisy swears by and its great, don’t get me wrong. But there is something about the conair that I keep going back to! I love the 1.25 inch size with the pink handle, MUST BE THIS ONE. It has lasted forever, gets super hot and a curl holds for days!
- Wet Brush for Thick Hair: Seems like a lot huh? I swear this final item you are going to love. If you have tried the traditional Wet Brush, you know how fantastic this post shower brush is. As someone who has inconsistent hair I stepped up my game and went with the Wet Brush for Thick Hair. It is 1,000 times better! Easily comb through any tangles and tame your hair instantly.
Stay tuned for the 2nd part of this post where we give you all the dirty details on what this routine looks like!
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.