As parents, we always get excited in every milestone of our littles ones: right from the day they came into our lives, to their very first steps, the first word that they spoke, first bicycle ride, and all the other firsts. We wanted to have something that we can look back to and reminisce on, that sometimes we can’t help ourselves from recording every single moment, every single day! And as a first-time parent, I can totally relate to this: each moment is so magical that there isn’t a single thing that is not worth capturing. And with that, here are some ways of creating lasting imprints of these milestones:
1. Take Photos – We now live in the digital world and capturing your toddler’s special moments is as easy as a click of the camera and a tap on the phone. The good thing about this is, there won’t be any clutter, as you can simply compile all photos on your computer or create a photo album in your social media account. You can also have a professional photographer and have a photo shoot with your kids for more creative and fun photos. As always, we must be careful if we post them online, and we still must consider our privacy, most especially that of our little ones. Also, don’t forget to backup your files!
2. Create a scrapbook – making a scrapbook can be a fun way of preserving your child’s special moments. You can pour as much creativity as you want in your scrapbook and turn simple photos into a colorful collage or an artful mishmash of different materials. You can also add creative descriptions along with the images and other stuff that remind you of that milestone, such as your kid’s hair that was cut for the first time and the likes. Really, with scrapbooks, the possibilities are endless. You can also use it as a bonding moment with your kid while you let them help you in making the scrapbook.
3. Keep a memory box – if the things that you want to keep are too bulky to be included in the scrapbook, then maybe you can opt to have a memory box instead. Here, you can also be as creative as you want and put crazy designs that are ‘out of the box.’ (pun intended 😊) You can then make it as a storage for your child’s milestones, like his first tooth that fell out, the little bib that he was so partial to, or that onesie that looked particularly good on him, and all other mementos. It can also be a place for the things he used that you may consider recycling in the future.
4. Write a journal/create a blog – what better way to remember all the details of your child’s milestones but to write it down? For moms who love to write (like me), this is a perfect way of documenting your toddler’s milestones down to the most minute detail. You can either keep a journal or create an online blog, where you can also have the chance to share your experience with other parents on the internet and basically exchange stories and ideas, too.
5. Create a casting or a print of their handprints and footprints – You can also be creative with making this keepsake by using clays of different color for casting their handprints or footprints and proudly display them around your home, or you can put the print-out inside a frame and place it on your wall.
Remembering our child’s milestones is very important to us parents, and to our children, too. It makes them feel loved and valued, and for us parents, it allows us to remember that amazing feeling we felt when that precious moment happened. Preserving these memories makes us look back and smile in spite of all the hardships that parenthood can bring.